Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday Fire

Perhaps I'll have a picture later of me driving the ambulance, and perhaps not. I did do it this morning though and now I'm qualified to drive it on the open road.

Our quiet afternoon was interrupted with a fire page in the Cherry Creek area of our district. It's about 5 miles west of our house (as the crow flies). Much further on the roads.

Since I'm not a firefighter, I wasn't paged out. (I bet if I get fitter, I'll be a firefighter within a year's time. It's hard staying home when everyone else in the crew is out working.)

Here's a view of the fire from my house. Looks more impressive than it really is due to the zoom capability of my camera.



And then I might as well add a picture of the fire that popped up just a bit later (and is burning simultaneously) about 5 miles east of my house. This one has been attacked with a tanker plane but we are now working it on the ground. This is on Southern Ute property and near some gas wells.

3 comments:

Iris said...

Gosh - they both look pretty big. I don't envy the firefighters.

Kat Simpson said...

Bad subject but great photos, Robin. Stay Safe and keep us updated on Will, okay? Kat

365DAYSINHEMETVALLEY said...

I'm with Kat -- great photos, but bad subject. We had a fire behind us today too --- while I was at work, and Gil didn't even notice the helicopters dropping fire retardant. It was up in the mountains, so no issue for our safety, but gosh -- as long as the TV is on, he's oblivious!